Do all programmers wear glasses?
Not all programmers wear eyeglasses, some programmers do not wear glasses and that is ok. Most programmers wear glasses because they spend most of their time in a staring contest with their computers lol, glasses can be very helpful for programmers in varying ways.
It has been reported by the American Academy of Ophthalmology that more than 150 million Americans use corrective eyewear to compensate for refractive errors. This number includes many programmers who wear glasses to correct refractive errors.
Some studies have found that a lack of time spent outdoors may increase the chances of developing shortsightedness (myopia).
Most programmers spend most of their time indoors and at a relatively short distance to a computer screen. This may contribute to eye problems such as nearsightedness, some of these eye problems can be controlled by wearing eyeglasses.
Excessive use of near electronic devices can cause eye problems, but programmers have no option, their work revolves around working on a computer nearly all day, this is why a lot of programmers wear glasses to protect their eyes and prevent some eye problems.
WHAT KIND OF GLASSES DO PROGRAMMERS NEED?
The kind of eyeglasses programmers need depends on the type of eye problem that they have. There are many types of glasses for different problems, here are some of the common problems for programmers and the kind of glasses needed to help alleviate the problem.
- Shortsightedness (Myopia) – if you are shortsighted, you need MINUS LENSES that will help you to see objects that are far away.
- Longsightedness (Hyperopia) – if you are longsighted, you will need PLUS LENSES to help you with objects that are far and in some cases those that are near.
- Blue light Reduction – these types of glasses are intended for people who often work on computers, they are good glasses for programmers. Gunner glasses are used by many programmers to help filter blue light and prevent eye strain.
- Color Corrections – some glasses such as EnChroma Color Blind Glasses can be used if you have problems identifying colors (color blind).
- Sun Glasses – Sun glasses can also be helpful when you are in direct sunlight, they help to protect your eyes from ultraviolet. Polarized Sun Glasses are some of the best for reducing glare which reduces stress on the eyes
If you are a programmer who does not have any eye problems and you do not wear eyeglasses or contact lenses, it is still recommended that you have an eye exam at the following intervals (Mayo Clinic)
- Every five to 10 years in your 20s and 30s
- Every two to four years from 40 to 54
- Every one to three years from 55 to 64
- Every one to two years after age 65
As a programmer, you must take care of your eyes at all costs, when you think about it, sight is extremely critical to programming. Make sure that your computing devices have settings optimized for eye health. Activating dark mode for many programs that you are using may also be helpful.
WHY DO PROGRAMMERS LIKE DARK MODE?
Programmers use dark mode because it reduces blue light exposure and it also helps to reduce eye strain that comes with prolonged screen time. Dark mode is very soft on the eyes, it helps to see brighter font colors (code) in the IDE or text editor.
Dark mode makes code highly readable, it makes it easy to see your code and ultimately improves your focus. May applications and programs come with a dark mode feature that can easily be activated, make use of this feature, it is highly beneficial.
Apart from using dark mode, you can download F.lux, F.lux is a free program that you can install on your computer or smartphone, it will help you by automatically adjusting your computer display settings depending on the time of the day.
It chooses the settings that best optimize your eye health at any time. It also allows less blue light to be emitted from your screen via a series of well-optimized settings. You can download F.lux for free for personal use on their website Justgetflux
Not all programmers wear glasses, since programmers spend most of their time staring at computer screens, it is a good idea to wear glasses that can protect your eyes in various ways.
Some programmers have no eye problems even if they spend a lot of time behind the computer screen, it is still recommended to have eye checkups from time to time, after all, prevention is better than cure.