Is Web Development Flooded?
Web development is flooded with average programmers who cannot do much except make simple websites. But companies are not looking to hire average web developers, they want to hire talented and highly skilled web developers.
Talented web developers are in short supply, there are very few talented web developers and companies are competing to hire or keep these developers. This is why there is a huge shortage of talented developers even though the web development field seems to be flooded.
Some companies are even offering money just to interview, this alone shows that there is a huge shortage of talented developers. Please note that web development is flooded with average programmers but there is a huge shortage of talented and highly skilled web developers.
The rise of no-code platforms and website builders like WordPress, Wix, Weebly, Shopify, Squarespace, and many others has made it easy to build a powerful, full-fledged website without any technical or coding skills.
Other people who use these platforms consider themselves web developers yet they cannot work with any programming language or add any simple feature to a website without the help of a plugin. It is of no surprise why some people keep asking Why Learn Web Development when there is WordPress?
WHY IS WEB DEVELOPMENT FLOODED
Web development is flooded because it is relatively easy to become a web developer and there are many amazing benefits that come with it. All you need is a good computer and an active internet connection, with enough dedication to learning and a lot of hard work and practice, you can become a highly skilled full-stack web developer in 6 – 12 months.
You don’t need a college degree to become a web developer, although having a degree is a huge advantage and a step ahead of the competition. All in all, you can still become a full-stack web developer using a lot of free online resources on youtube and other platforms.
You can also take courses on Udacity, Udemy, Treehouse, Coursary, Coursera, and many other platforms that help you to learn web development at your own pace. Most of the courses offered on these platforms are easy to follow, concise, and better than some courses offered in some colleges and universities.
Plus, highly skilled Developers can get opportunities to work for big tech companies like Google, Facebook, Netflix, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, Oracle, etc. these companies offer attractive perks, beautiful working spaces, capacity building opportunities, and more.
This coupled with the rise of boot camps means more people are looking to enter the web development space. When you consider all these combinations, some of which make starting a web development journey relatively easy, you can see why web development is flooded with average programmers.
WEB DEVELOPMENT JOBS
If you are interested in web development, there are a lot of opportunities ranging from working for FAANG to Freelancing, startups, governments, etc. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, ”employment of web developers and digital designers is projected to grow 13 percent from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations.”
The Bureau further reports that “about 17,900 openings for web developers and digital designers are projected each year in the U.S. alone.”
Statista estimates that by 2030, the number of employed software developers in the U.S. alone is expected to rise to 1.84 million. This means there are more openings and there will be more openings for developers.
At the beginning of this article, I mentioned that Some Tech companies are offering money to interview, there are also other tech companies that have sweetened perks to land tech workers; a $250,000 signing bonus for an executive role (WSJ). This shows the shortage of talented developers.
According to Data analyzed by CompTIA, “in total, employers across the 10 markets covered in the report posted nearly 900 000 job advertisements during Q1 2021 in their efforts to hire for a range of technology professions.“ The key categories considered for hiring include:
- Software Developers, Programmers, and Web Developers
- Systems Analysts and Cybersecurity
- IT Support Specialists and Technicians
- Network and Systems Administrators and Technicians
But wait, if web development is flooded and there are a lot of openings for developer jobs and yet a huge shortage of developers, what on God’s green earth is happening? Well, it is as I said in the beginning, there are very few talented developers and many average developers.
I must emphasize that companies are looking for highly skilled talented developers, not average developers who cannot bring much to the table.
HOW TO STAY AHEAD OF THE COMPETITION
So, how do you separate yourself from the rest of the developers and get more opportunities your way? In the article Tips to Become a better developer, I have looked at some of the things you can do to separate yourself from others. I will look at other things that you can do to stay ahead of the competition.
- LEARNING: If you are a web developer, you must love learning, there are always new tools, libraries, and frameworks to learn. Web development is a fast-paced field, if you become comfortable with what you already know and you stop upgrading yourself, you will become irrelevant in no time.
- THE BLOOMTECH STRATEGY: I love the strategy that Bloomtech employs to guarantee a job for its graduates. I have discussed it at length in the article Why the Bloomtech Strategy Works. If you follow it faithfully, you are guaranteed of being ahead of your competition.
- ALGORITHMS AND DATA STRUCTURES: Most web developers shy away from Algorithms and Data Structures, but you should not. Learning and understanding algorithms and data structures will help you when interviewing for developer roles. Most tech companies require a good understanding of Algorithms and Data structures. You can use Leetcode to test your algorithm understanding or you can read books such as Cracking the Coding Interview or Grokking Algorithms.
- PORTFOLIO: Have a portfolio of the projects you have worked on, there are times when words will fail and your portfolio will speak for you. Being able to showcase what you can do is a great way to invite opportunities even when you are sleeping. You can start a website, a youtube channel, a podcast, or any platform that can allow you to showcase your work. A website is a great place to start.
- CHALLENGES: Taking part in online challenges and hackathons is one of the great ways of inviting opportunities, not only will you be able to win amazing prizes and cash, you will also be able to get the attention of employers. You can try out Hackathons of your liking on Devpost the home of Hackathons.
Web development is not flooded with talented developers, it is flooded with average developers. Talented web developers are in high demand all around the world. If you want to make a difference as a web developer, you must do more than what any average programmer is willing to do.
Many companies out there are looking for highly skilled web developers, it is up to you to up your game and land yourself that dream web developer role. It’s going to take a lot of dedication and hard work to rise above the rest of the developers, but that’s the thin line between the top-rated and the average developers.